.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Beyond Pandora

Beyond simple curiosity, this is Thinking Too Much. If you're interested in philosophy and/or wild theories, you've come to the right place.

Name:
Location: Australia

Paddling somewhere between a mad scientist and an organisational artist. Indecisive, inconsistent and often incoherent.

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Reimaging

For the last few days, I've been reevaluating my course at uni, and once again trying to decide what it is that I want from life.
I realised at first that I was actually more interested in the science behind electronics than the devices themselves. It shows, because I'm actually trying out stuff at home to do with Physics and Maths, though I should (also) be pulling things apart to see how they work. I'm unsure whether that is a good or bad sign, but it does mean I am considering changing to a double degree - Microelectronic Engineering / Science (Physics).
The unsurity worries me, though. It means I don't know what I'm aiming for. So I took a look at other career areas, and tried to rate them, honing in on what it is I want from a career in the process.

First of all, I want the work I do to be important - something that will benefit people directly (e.g, a doctor or teacher), or indirectly (e.g, research work, or scientist). Secondly, I want to have an intellectually stimulating and creative career - if I can conceivably be replaced by a robot or a computer, then it isn't worth it.
Despite how much I love the creative arts, I don't consider them to be important to society beyond the message they impart. Actors, for example, are not really known for changing the world for the better.
Also, not so interested in merely designing things. Architecture, visual arts/graphics, I.T. - not really areas of progress, more like areas of applied creativity.
With the list of career areas not yet ruled out, there was definitely less interest in the more direct services - doctors, lawyers, teachers, social services. Though I don't idealise these careers any less, I doubt my own success in carrying out such people-oriented jobs.

I realised then that what I had left fell under the rough category of 'Information' - and that hit it for me. What I want is to discover and learn about important things, and make sure that people know about them. This covers my interest in science, in engineering, in media, in performing and creative arts, and the information I consider important would definitely relate to law, health, environment, schooling...
I believe I've found my target. And even though I'm not yet sure what I'm going to do about it or how I'm going to get there, I've found what I was looking for - direction.

(And, in the spirit of reimaging, I had my hair cut :) Now I can see!)

6 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

Have you thought about a career in research? You'd have to get a PhD, but it sounds like what you like.

8:59 am  
Blogger Draic said...

It's a definite possibility, but you can't get a general research degree, can you? It'd be specific to whatever you'd studied previously (?) Whereas I feel like I want to know about everything.

11:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you heard of the ennegram (i think thats how its spelt) it is a system of profiling personalities. I dont know if you're into that or not but it was really interesting to me. there are heaps of books on it out there and probably heaps on the interenet. its not all hocus pocus like star signs its all very practical and if you get the right book, many actually discuss the kinds of things different types of people need to strive for to acheive happiness in their lives(eg, my ennegram profile feel strongly about children and nature, and a career or even a focus in these areas is supposed to be good for me). just thought it might be interesting for you in all your soul searching!

1:27 am  
Blogger Draic said...

I have indeed heard of ennegrams (though I wasn't aware of what they were called). In fact, I was checking out the Myers-Briggs personality profiling system just before I started uni. I think I'll post on it soon...

3:15 pm  
Blogger Ben said...

"Science blogger" … is that a career? :)

11:55 pm  
Blogger Draic said...

It should be. I should make it be.

8:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home