.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Beyond Pandora

Beyond simple curiosity, this is Thinking Too Much. If you're interested in philosophy and/or wild theories, you've come to the right place.

Name:
Location: Australia

Paddling somewhere between a mad scientist and an organisational artist. Indecisive, inconsistent and often incoherent.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Televised

I may be starting to get myself some actual TV programs to add to my schedule!
In addition to watching Desperate Housewives every week, I've been trying to catch all of Lost, but before tonight that had been about it for me and the other box.
But tonight I got a heads-up and went to check out Super Nanny USA on Nine at 6:30. It was interesting to see Nanny in action (and amusing to hear the much-hyped word 'unasseptable'). It's heartwarming stuff, and I could claim it was useful reality TV if I actually had any kids. Plus it's a prelude to Desperate Housewives on Seven at 7:30... :)

Every now and then I watch Crossing Jordan afterwards (often because the ad break is mysteriously removed between the end of one program and the start of the next), but now I've realised that a show I've been meaning to watch is on in that time slot - Enough Rope with Andrew Denton.

I like dear Andy. He's small and funny and actually asks interesting questions of his guests.
Tonight Andrew interviewed Pat Rafter, and I discovered that not all sportspeople are boring! It was interesting to hear how Patty's family helped support his career and that tennis was getting boring before he retired, that he blessed the Pope (!), and that he's been doing a lot of serious philosophising lately.

Contrast Pat's deep stoicism with... um... Augusten Burroughs, author, who remains cheerfully optimistic despite growing up in incredibly eccentric circumstances. His mother was a manic-depressive dramatic wannabe-poet, his father an emotionless alcoholic scholar. Then his mum decides she isn't cut out to be one, and so Burroughs ends up being taken in by a psychiatrist, his children, and some of his patients. He described his childhood as having 'no rules'. As a late teenager he found out he was gay when he became involved with a 33-year old who lived in the barn "like a pet". He took a career in advertising and drinking, and what stopped him from submitting to death was his untried dream of writing. So he tried, and it worked. "Sellevision", "Running With Scissors", "Dry", and the latest, "Magical Thinking".

But this was supposed to be about TV, not about books, so I must mention the ad I saw for 'Celebrity Circus' beginning next Sunday at 6:30, which in my opinion is much more appealing than 'Dancing with the Stars'.

So maybe I should get me some TV dinners to go with that microwave. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home