.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Beyond Pandora

Beyond simple curiosity, this is Thinking Too Much. If you're interested in philosophy and/or wild theories, you've come to the right place.

Name:
Location: Australia

Paddling somewhere between a mad scientist and an organisational artist. Indecisive, inconsistent and often incoherent.

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Over-thinking: Sunnies

I don't like sunglasses. I know they're supposed to be to protect your eyes, but of course they're more than a tool; they're a fashion statement.

Why are sunglasses cool? I think it's because they mask your eyes. Eyes are sometimes called 'windows to the soul' and are one of the major factors in reading facial expressions. Hiding your eyes muffles your expressions, making you appear emotionless or impassive, and isn't that what being 'cool' is?

I don't want to wear sunnies because I don't like how they hide your emotions. I'm an expressive person. I can't make a connection with someone unemotional, and I'd assume the same is true for other people.

I guess the simple answer is to get a pair with tinted lenses instead of reflective ones.

But the reflective ones look so cool! (sigh)

8 Comments:

Blogger Violet said...

It's easy - wear your sunnies for the coolness factor and to keep the sun out of your eyes, but take them off (in a stylish and graceful way) when you want to talk to someone.

6:28 am  
Blogger Casyn said...

I'm a glasses on the head type of person, so if they need to go away, they're not far to put back on again.

I have to wear 'em, otherwise I have bad things happen to my eyes, but I try to be aware of talking to peeps with them on. I always take them off inside, that really bugs me when people don't.

I have reflecty ones, but I don't think they are cool. I just liked the style.

I'm sure you just think that if people see you in reflecty sunnies they'll mistake you for some rock star!

j/k :-)

12:06 am  
Blogger Draic said...

Yeah, I can be a rock star! lol. Maybe if I dyed my hair purple again...

Cas, how can you like the look of something and not think it's cool? :s

Vi, that sounds excellent. Now where can I find some style and grace?

Not to mention some sunnies I actually like - that's going to be the biggest task.

10:05 am  
Blogger Casyn said...

Hmm, purple-haired Draic. You'd possibly look like cousin IT gone wrong. ;-)

Just because I like something doesn't make it 'cool' is all. Even less so if I wear it!

Finding sunnies one likes is a toughy. Which is a bugger when I have such a history of breaking them. Takes me months to find a new pair. Perhaps you need to widen your search to other cities :-)

12:16 am  
Blogger Pickwick said...

I-spy Casyn trying to corrupt Draic!

I like the idea of wearing sunnies as much as Casyn does, but as a regular spectacle wearer, it's annoying to have to switch them with the glasses case all of the time. You know, good sunnies protect your retinas. You need to do that, you know...

10:15 pm  
Blogger Casyn said...

Me? Corrupting? Never! I am totally pure and innocent.

*cough*

Piwi, you need those amazing changerable ones that get dark when it's bright and clear when it's not, or some very stylish clip-ons. Oh! Or those great looking safety goggle looking ones that go over your normal glasses!

I'm not helping am I. :-)

12:20 am  
Blogger Draic said...

Oh, totally! Those automatic tinting glasses would be excellent!

And you know what? I was never actually looking for sunnies in the first place! At one point during the trip from Townsville, Mum found two unused pairs in the glovebox. She passed them to me and ordered me to 'pick one'. I don't really like the look of either of them. And I started wondering why I'd never actually bought sunnies before...

But if there was ever a pair that I really wanted, it was (surprise, surprise) in a shop in Brisbane. I think the lenses were mirrored... or possibly orange... and the frames were green, but changed colour with changes in temperature. I was very impressed. But they were $30 or so, which was a huge deal then. Plus it was 3-4 years ago. I doubt they'll still be there.

12:59 am  
Blogger Ben said...

I have a pair of those tint changing ones and they are great fun, especially when talking to people after just walking outside and they gradually darken… and you sort of fold your arms to match the mood ;)

On the other hand, if you sit for a while in the sun they can tint darker on half the lens that's curved to face the sun and the rest go clear and that's a bit trippy…

10:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home